The Glasgow Film Festival will return for its 10th year in 2014 from 20 February to 2 March, featuring a number of new strands and a celebration of classic Hollywood.
Now the third-biggest film festival in the UK, Glasgow Film Festival enjoyed its biggest year in 2013, with over 39,000 admissions to 368 events.
While the full 2014 programme, which will include a number of anniversary celebrations, will be revealed on Tuesday 21 January 2014, the organisers have announced some of the 2014 line-up:
- 1939: Hooray For Hollywood! All the Best Picture Oscar nominees from Hollywood’s Greatest Year.
- Best of British Brand new films and much-loved classics from all over the UK.
- CineChile Recent releases from a country bursting with exciting new cinema talent. Includes The Illiterate (Las Analfabetas), Crystal Fairy, The Quispe Sisters (Las Ninas Quispe), The Summer of Flying Fish (El Verano de los Peces Voladores), Things the Way They Are (La Cosas Como Son), Violet Went to Heaven (Violeta Se Fue a los Cielos)
- Crossing the Line Open your mind to experimental and artist films from Glasgow and across the world. 2014’s programme will include the world premiere of Happy and Glorious, a new film commission by upcoming video artist and recent Jarman Award nominee, Rachel Maclean, the winner of GFF13’s prestigious Margaret Tait Award.
- Eurovisions Romcoms from Romania, Swedish sci-fi or noir from the Netherlands? Could be, as we take a gander at the best new cinema from the continent.
- FrightFest – The horror institution takes over Screen 1 at GFT for the final weekend of the Festival for back-to-back screenings and an advance wallow in the gore of the finest, freakiest new horror movies.
- Gala – The big ones. Gala screenings, red carpet events and premieres. Are you ready for your closeup?
- Game Cats Go Miaow! As computer games now regularly beat the biggest Hollywood box office takings, is video set to kill the movie star too? Ace gamer Robert Florence, best known from BBC comedy sketch show Burnistoun, is back with irreverent events, screenings and probably a house party to celebrate the rise of the pixel.
- Glasgow Music and Film Festival An inspired programme of live music events, features and rockumentaries celebrating the special relationships between film and music, co-curated with The Arches.
- Glasgow Short Film Festival (13-16 February 2014) Scotland’s leading short film showcase returns for four days of screenings, events and parties dedicated to emerging film talent here and around the globe. Four awards are up for grabs, including the prestigious Bill Douglas Award for International Short Film, and this year’s programme includes a focus on emerging Irish talent, avant-garde 16mm films from Japan, explorations of sound and cinema and much more.
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival (2-12 February 2014) Showcasing the best contemporary international cinema for and by young people alongside workshops, masterclasses, competitions and special events. Our Youth Film Festival is the only festival of its kind in Europe to be curated and programmed entirely by 15-17 year olds, with films representing issues faced by young people alongside events and workshops for those thinking about getting into the movie business.
- Great Scots – A celebration of native talent and local heroes with screenings of the best new productions from Scottish filmmakers and Scottish production companies.
- It’s a Wonderful World – Globetrotting without a passport – brilliant titles from all over the world.
- Kapow! Biff! Bang! Kapow! Comic book legend and Fox creative consultant Mark Millar, creator of Kick-Ass, is back to curate our strand dedicated to cult movies and the rise of the superhero.
- Out of the Past – Classic movies in peak condition back on the big screen, where they come alive all over again.
- Pop Up Cinema and Special Events Cinema experiences in strange and unusual locations, and distinguished guests in conversation.
- Stranger than Fiction An exceptional selection of the best new documentary releases.
Visit the Glasgow Film Festival website for more details.